Monday, January 15

Birds of a Feather Stick Together!





Hello friends and welcome to our newest Monday challenge - "Birds of a Feather." 

I hope you had some creative fun with our Winter Blues challenge last week to help get rid of the blues that winter can bring. I don't know about where you live, but last week brought us a string of subzero days with windchills down to the -40F, and dark days. This week I had to head into bright colors!

I pulled out several fun bird stamp sets and a feather die, along with bright papers and paints, and headed to my art journal.

Birds of a Feather Stick Together! 


I stamped out my bird images on watercolor paper, then colored them with some markers and Peerless watercolors and a water brush. Once they were dry, I went over them with clear Wink of Stella to add some glitter.


I had to work on my page in stages, letting things dry. I started by collaging vintage paper and some of the Pink & Main Beach Babe in strips. Next, I brushed a thin layer of Antarctic paint. Once that was dry, I began to layer the stencils, beginning with Simon's Ring Cluster and Caribbean blue, then  the Irregular Dots and Orchid, finishing with the Leaves stencil and a mix of Limelight and Green Patina. 


I wanted to add some more pops of color with Dina Wakley's scribble sticks, so added to the leaves and went around some of the circles.


I thought I'd share a view of my working area - aways messy, not very big, but I have a fantastic view, my mini aquatic garden and dancing Hula girl to keep me motivated! 


I punched large and small circles out to put behind my birds, and each of the birds share the same types of feathers. I went around them with a scribbly stick, and sprinkled some 28 Lilac Lane sequins down the page (Rock Princess).


The birds might look different, but they are birds of a feather!




Thanks for visiting! I hope I've inspired you to join in our fun challenge this week! I'm looking forward to your creations!

Our generous friends at Simon Says Stamp are offering a  $50 voucher to shop at their awesome store! Come over and play, and you might be the winner!



SUPPLIES:

                                        
                                                    
                                        
A great place to shop!!


Simon is on Instagram - use #sssmchallenge


Be sure to check out all the wonderful and creative ideas the design team has!




13 comments:

  1. Gorgeous journal page Maura :-) I love the bright cheerful colours and the birds are adorable! I love how you mixed the crazy birds with the other images too, very crazy and fun! :-)

    Love your view! My window looks out onto a stone wall, I really need to get out there and pretty that up a bit and plant more greenery ;-)

    luv
    Lols x x x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a fun make! Those birds made me smile and I love the brightly coloured stencilled background that you created too - amazing 😁. Wishing you a great new week! J 😊

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so very crazy and fun. Love all the colors matching together. Great coloring of the birds, too. so funny. Hugs, Macarena

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooo, the background you created is so colorful and fun and all those birds just add to the "party". Love it!

    Cathie ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a fun and fantastic journal page, Maura. The embellishments and those birds are awesome. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a vibrant and happy page Maura, just as your soul!!! Happy and vibrant! I love the fact that I can catch a bit of your soul in everything you create, is like i get to know you better day by days!
    These birds are so funny and I love the overall look of this page!! Well done my sweet friend <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fun page, Maura...this is fabulous my friend! I love how you've combined all the different birds to create such a stylish flock that really do look ready to party! Hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fantastic page Maura! I love the background and all the fun birds. The view from your window is wonderful. My view is okay, but nothing like that. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wherever these sassy birds are hanging out, I want to be there, too! Once again, you've created a colorful universe from that amazing imagination of yours. I love the sense of energy and interaction between these birdies and I adore the way you brought them to life.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so fun and cute and funky all at once. You really made all those different birds work together!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Maura as always I wait for Monday to see how you will interpret our theme because I never know what I'll see! And you never disappoint me! The originality, the freshness, the joy of your work is always unique! Wonderful!Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  12. this is such a fun page, incredible detail on the background and love those crazy birds, hugs kath xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. This page is so colorful and so much fun, Maura! love all those crazy birds and other funky birds.Hugs, Sandra

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment, it is so appreciated, and I love reading each and every one!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Pinterest